1. What Causes Arm Fat?
2. What Diet Should You Follow To Lose Arm Fat?
3. Exercises To Lose Arm Fat
4. FAQs on Arm Fat
Do you face a moment’s hesitation when it comes to picking cute spaghetti tops or sleeveless dresses just because of arm fat? Well, if you've not yet found the right way to target this area, we've got just the tips on how to reduce arm fat and turn flabby arms to fab!
What Causes Arm Fat?
Arm fat is just one of those things caused by the onset of ageing. As you grow older, your metabolic rate decreases and if you aren’t following a physically active lifestyle, the excess fat could get stored in your arms. While there is no definite conclusion yet, some studies conducted have found that low levels of testosterone can trigger the storage of excess fat in the upper arm region. As women get older, the levels of testosterone in their bodies decrease, making it harder for them to lose flabby arms.
So, this raises the million-dollar question - How to reduce arm fat? Let’s start with what you can eat in order to reduce flabby arms.
What Diet Should You Follow To Lose Arm Fat?
1. Keep Count
The first thing to keep in mind while trying to reduce flabby arms is that you need to start watching the amount of calories you consume. Studies say that one needs to burn about 3,500 calories to burn a pound of fat. While the amount seems daunting, there is a simple way to achieve this goal. Try cutting down about 500 calories from your daily diet and over a week, you would be able to burn 3,500 calories. Jot down everything you eat and the calorie content of it, in a notebook, for an easier way to keep track of your consumption.
2. No Sugar
Sugar on its own is not bad at all but in order tolose flabby arms, one has to cut down food with excessive sugar content. Reduce the amount of sugar you add to your cup of coffee or tea, instead of buying canned or bottled juices, make your own fresh fruit juices, and opt for oats porridge with fresh fruitsover sugar-loaded breakfast cereal.
Know more about Healthy Sugar Substitutes For Cutting Down Calories here.
3. Never Skip Breakfast
Skipping breakfast can lead to you overindulging in food through the day. Instead, eat a proper, wholesome breakfast to start your day on the right note.
4. Include Protein
Protein-rich foodwill help you build more muscle and help boost your metabolism, thus helping you burn more calories. Another reason to include more protein in your diet is that it will help you feel full for a longer time, making it easier to not cave in to hunger pangs between meals. Remember, the aim is to just up the intake of protein, not limiting your entire diet to just protein. Include more of lean meats, beans, nuts, seeds, seafood and leafy vegetables to lose flabby arms.
5.Drink More Water
Sometimes, we mistake thirst for hunger. So, staying hydrated helps reduce your daily calorie intake. It also promotes a feeling of fullness.
6.Increase Fibre Intake
Dietary fibre fills you up and increases the amount of time taken by the stomach to empty itself. This keeps you satiated for longer, preventing bingeing and keeping your calorie intake in check.
7.Reduce Refined Carb Intake
A diet high in carbohydrates contributes to the decrease of testosterone in women. Eventually, this leads to loss of muscle mass and the development of flabby arms.
In addition to these above pointers, try incorporating these lifestyle changes:
8.Get Better Sleep
Getting a good night's sleep each night helps regulate your appetite and enhances weight loss. This will help you reduce overall fat as well as arm fat.
9.Add Some Cardio
Jumping rope, jogging, swimming, biking, and dancing can help promote weight loss and fat burning, thus targeting arm fat over time.As per a study, High-Intensity Intermittent Exercise (HIIE) also has promising effects on subcutaneous fat loss.
Exercises To Lose Arm Fat
If only reducing arm fat was as easy as just controlling your diet. While eating right is one half of the entire process, you have to pay equal attention to exercising as well. Here are some easy exercises to follow for desired results.
1. Weight Lifting
Exercises involving lifting weights can decrease overall body fat, increase your muscle mass, and also tone your arms, making them look slimmer.
- All you need for this exercise is a standard pair of weights. If you don’t have dumbbells, you can use a bottle of water as a substitute.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Hold the weight with both your hands and lift it above your head. Pay close attention to form. Your arms should be straight.
- Slowly, lower the weight behind your back.
- After holding for a couple of seconds, lift the weight above your head again.
Note - While doing this exercise, keep your arms as close to your ears as possible. Do 3 sets of 20 reps each. Rest for a minute in between each set.
2. Tricep Dips
This effective exercise to target arm fat can be done on a yoga mat or using a chair.
- Find a suitable chair or bench for this exercise. The height of the chair/bench matters a lot. It has to be at least 2 feet higher than the ground.
- Sit at the edge of the chair/bench and place your arms behind you or at the edge of the seat. Make sure that the distance between your arms is shoulder-width apart.
- With your back in an upright position, sit at the very edge of the seat, with your legs stretched out in front of you.
- Bend your elbows to a 90-degree angle and slowly lower your lower body off the seat and towards the ground.
- Hold this pose for a few seconds and remember to regulate your breathing. Take a few deep breaths. It will help you maintain the pose without exerting yourself.
- Straighten your arms again and push your body up again (do not sit on the chair yet).
- Do 3 sets of 20 reps daily for effective results in reducing arm fat.
3. Bicep Curls
Performing bicep curls burns little amount of fat, but it can promote muscular growth.
- You will need a pair of weights for this exercise.
- Stand firmly on the ground, with your feet shoulder-width apart. Hold onto one weight in each hand.
- While grasping the weights, make sure your palms are facing you, with your fingers encircled around the weight.
- Lift both the weights by bending your elbows and bringing your arms up towards your shoulders.
- Keep your elbows tucked in closer towards your sides to maintain the right form.
- After holding for a few seconds, bring down the weights by lowering your arms.
- Based on the level of comfort, do about 2 to 4 sets of 15 or 20 reps each.
4. Push Ups
This classic exercise is your answer to how to reduce arm fat! Push ups use your body's own weight to build and strengthen your arm muscles.
- This exercise can work great for all those looking to lose flabby arms.
- Spread a yoga mat on the floor and lie down on your stomach.
- With your palms facing downwards, rest your hands on the floor.
- With your hands resting firmly on the ground, lift your body up. Slowly, lower your body again, till your chest is almost touching the ground.
- Since this exercise requires immense upper body strength, start with doing knee pushups first and then proceed to regular pushups when you get comfortable.
- Rest your knees on the floor and raise your upper body slowly. Pause for a second and then lower it again till your chest is close to the ground (parallel to it).
- During this exercise, breathe in on your way down and exhale when you raise your body up.
- Do 3 reps of 10 sets daily for best results.
5. Side Plank With Dumbbell Raises
It is commonly known that planks are a great way to work out your core. A side plank does the same but if you add a pair of dumbbells, you can get two benefits. Not only will you work out your core but your arms as well, and can effectively say goodbye to arm fat.
- For this exercise, you will need a yoga mat and a dumbbell of whatever weight you are comfortable with. (Keep in mind, a very heavyweight will only lead to you straining so yourself, so, choose wisely).
- Rest on your elbow, in the side plank position. In order to hold the position right, pay attention to your form, or you may injure yourself. For this exercise, your elbow should be below your shoulder and your feet should be one on top of the other. Grip the dumbbell in your other hand.
- Slowly raise your hips off the mat in such a way that there is a straight line formed from your shoulders to your ankle.
- Extend the arm in which you are holding the dumbbell above your shoulder.
- Next, lower your arm again and rest it in front of your body.
- Pay attention to your breathing in order to not strain yourself during this exercise. Breathe in as you lift your arm above your shoulder and breathe out as you bring it down again.
- Repeat these movements at least ten times and then switch sides and follow the steps again.
This is a cardio workout that will help you reduce arm fat quickly.
- This exercise is easy to do and requires no weights. You will need just a yoga mat and enough space to move your hands.
- Spread the mat and stand with your legs apart.
- Extend your arms towards your sides and keep them straight. This is your starting position.
- Now, bring your arms towards the front of your body and cross them over in a way that they overlap. (Think of your hands like the blades of a scissor when you cross them over).
- Return to the position you started in.
- Repeat this movement and carry on for about 20 minutes.
- Do this exercise every day for the best results.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):How To Reduce Arm Fat
Q. How to lose arm fat without gaining muscle?
A. While using weights is one of the most effective ways of losing arm fat, it comes with the worry of whether your muscles would bulk up. While this is a common concern, building muscles doesn’t happen overnight and takes hours of intensive workout at a gym. If you, however, still concerned, you can lose flabby arms by opting for exercises that don’t include weights. Exercises such as pushups can help in this case, since you will use your own bodyweight to tone your arms. Tricep dips will also help you lose flabby arms without bulking up. Yoga is another great alternative.
Q. How do I get rid of the broad shoulder and big upper arm?
A. Targeting just your shoulders is hard. An overall decrease in body weight will help your shoulders look less broad. Exercise at least three times a week to lose weight and it could also aid in increasing your metabolism, which in turn aids weight loss. There are, however, some exercises you can do.Front raises will help you.
How To Do Front Raises -
- Stand with a dumbbell in each hand with your arms by your side.
- Bend your elbows slightly, extend your arms and raise it to chest level
- Hold for a few seconds, then lower your arms again.
Q. How long does it take to lose arm fat?
A. There is no definite answer to this question since it varies from person to person, the intensity of your exercise regime, the amount of fat you have and on your metabolism. If you stick to a proper diet and exercise well, you might be able to see a difference within a few months.
Q. How can I lose fat without weight training?
A. Incorporate more of cardio in your regime in order to burn more calories. Walking or jogging can help. Yoga or using a skipping rope can also help you lose fat. Playing a sport is another great way to tone your arms. Besides being fun, Tennis or squash are great games since they also focus mainly on your arms. Pushups, arm rotation and tricep dips are all examples of exercises without the use of weights.
Q. How many calories do I need to lose arm fat?
A. Studies say that one needs to burn about 3500 calories to burn a pound of fat. Cut down about 500 calories from your daily diet and in a week, you would be able to burn 3500 calories.
Q.How can I lose arm fat fast?
A.Focusing on cardio and exercises that target the arms can promote overall overall fat loss and also help slim and tone the arms. Eat healthier by adding more protein and fibre to your diet, and eliminating sugar and carbohydrates.
Q.What causes arm fat in females?
A.Genetics are largely responsibl for where you store fat in the body. If you are overweight, subcutaneous fat can get deposited in the arms and underarm area. Menopause in women leads to decreased testosterone levels, which causes loss of muscle mass and thus, flabby arms.
Q.How can I slim down my arms?
A.Push ups, planks, arm circles, chair dips are some easy exercises that can help tone your arms.
Q.Does arm fat ever go away?
A. Arm fat is stubborn, but if you bring about a positive lifestyle change with regular exercise, eating right, and getting enough rest, you can target this area and slim and tone it.
Q. What foods cause arm fat?
A.Foods high in sugar and carbohydrates like refined grains can cause a surplus of calorie intake. This leads to increase in insulin levels, causing the body to store calories as fat instead of using them as energy.
Conclusion:How To Reduce Arm Fat
Arm fat is stubborn, but you needn't be intimidated by it. With a mix of exercises, following a healthy diet, and some positive lifestyle changes, you can be on your way to a fitter you. Now that you know how to reduce arm fat, get started right away!
1.High-Intensity Intermittent Exercise and Fat Loss
Also Read-How to reduce face fat and your double chin for a perfect jawline.
Next Story : Choose From A Stunning Range Of Love Bands By Platinum Days of Love
Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculator
Recommended stories for you
- 5 simple and effective ways to boost your metabolism
- 9 ways to prevent diabetes
RATE THIS ARTICLE
Thank you for rating
Be the first one to comment.
View More Comments